All-Time Raw Powerlifting Records Released

Create: 05/15/2009 - 08:21
(updated 5/22) After months of research, Johnny Vasquez has compiled and released the only set of American All-Time Raw Records ever compiled for the sport of powerlifting. (Note: Michael Soong also tracks the all-time single lift raw bench press records.) Vasquez's work resulted from research with Bob Gaynor, Bob Packer, Larry Pacifico, Vince Anello, Rickey Crain, Michael Soong's Statistics, Herb Glossbrenner's Statistics, Rick Gaugler, Pete Alaniz, American Powerlifting Evolution's John Sanchez, John Smoker, and many others. The American All-Time Raw Records will be published in the Powerlifting Records section here at Powerlifting Watch. The All-Time Squat and Total Records are broken out by the use of knee wraps. The Bench Press Records are broken out by single lift and full power.
SQUAT
Knee Wraps
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123551**Mike Booker2002 AAU
132551**Mike Booker2002AAU
148575Rick Crain 1977AAU*
165644George Crawford1974AAU*
181710Jack Barnes1972AAU*
198735Jack Barnes1972AAU*
220777Sam Byrd 2006 APF
242853George Frenn1971 AAU*
275865Jon Cole1972AAU*
308901Jon Cole1972AAU*
SHW953Mark Henry1995ADFPA


No Knee Wraps
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123 551 Mike Booker 2002 AAU
132 551 Mike Booker 2002 AAU
148 550 Mike Kuhns 2006 ADAU
165 600 George Crawford 1973 AAU*
181 650 Bob Mckee 1973 AAU*
198 688 Tony Fratto 1974 AAU*
220 705 Sam Byrd 2005 NERB
242 826 Kirk Karwoski 2005 AAU
275 850 Greg Lowe 2001 ADAU
308 826 Scot Weech 2008 100%
SHW 934 Don Reinhoudt 1975 AAU*

BENCH PRESS
Full Power
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123 380 Mike Booker 2005 AAU
132 397 Joe Bradley 1980 USPF
148 424 Joe Bradley 1982 USPF
165 485 Rick Weil 1984 USPF
181 556 Rick Weil 1986 APF
198 565 Larry Danaher 1986 USPF
220 582 Mike McDonald 1979 AAU*
242 603 Mike McDonald 1977 AAU*
275 614 Tom Hardman 1982 USPF
308 666 Ted Arcidi 1984 USPF
SHW 710 James Henderson1997 USPF

Single Lift
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123 392 Mike Booker 2004 AAU
132 410 Rick Couch 1993 APA
148 435 Alex Pocu 1990 APA
165 485*** Rick Weil 1984 USPF
181 556*** Rick Weil 1986 APF
198 565*** Larry Danaher 1986 USPF
220 582*** Mike McDonald 1979 AAU*
242 615 Jeremy Hoornstra 2006 WPO
275 650 Ted Arcidi 1983 NSM
308 701 Scot Mendelson 2002 APF
SHW 715 Scot Mendelson 2005 Atlantis

DEADLIFT
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123 617 Lamar Gant 1979 AAU*
132 628 Lamar Gant 1981 USPF
148 666 Dan Austin 1987 USPF
165 714 Rick Gaugler 1981 USPF
181 791 Ed Coan 1984 USPF
198 859 Ed Coan 1985 USPF
220 901 Ed Coan 1998 USPF
242 887Ed Coan 1980 USPF
275 856 John Kuc 1985 ADFPA
308 825 Don Cundy 1970 AAU*
SHW 903 Mark Henry 1995 ADFPA

TOTAL
Knee Wraps
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123 1344 Lamar Gant 1978 AAU*
132 1410 Lamar Gant 1978 AAU*
148 1580 Tony Conyers 1999 WNPF
165 1714 Rick Gaugler 1978 AAU*
181 1745 Jack Barnes 1972 AAU*
198 1935 Larry Pacifico 1976 AAU*
220 2061 Larry Pacifico 1977 AAU*
242 2204 John Kuc 1980 AAU*
275 2250 Jon Cole 1972 AAU*
308 2363 Jon Cole 1972 AAU*
SHW 2391 Don Reinhoudt 1975 AAU*

No Knee Wraps
ClassAmountLifterYearFederation
123 1278 Mike Booker 2002 AAU
132 1275 Franklin Riley 1972 AAU*
148 1430 Don Blue 1973 AAU*
165 1532 Tony Conyers 2009 RUPC
181 1700 Bob Mckee 1973 AAU*
198 1807 Ryan Celli 2009 RUPC
220 1910 Larry Pacifico 1973 AAU*
242 2080 Larry Pacifico 1973 AAU*
275 2130 Greg Lowe 2001 ADAU
308 2160 Hugh Cassidy 1971 AAU*
SHW 2298 Don Reinhoudt 1974 AAU*
* Prior to USPF ** Done w/o wraps but higher than lift with wraps *** Done in Full powerliftng meet but higher than single lift RUPC This is not a federation but rather a contest designed to unite lifters from all federations Records in spreadsheet (xls) form.

Comments

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Damn, I didn't realize how much of a beast Henry was ! Damn ! Good to see my favorite Powerlifter in there ... Mr. John Kuc. Great list !

Submitted by Mike T. (not verified) on
Notice Eddy Coan is one of two 900# Dlers and he probably weighed 200# less tha Mark Henry. That's amazing. Thanks for this, Johnny! Gives me something to shoot for!

Submitted by Mark K. (not verified) on
A terrific list. Many thanks to Johnny Vasquez for compiling all this. Hopefully this will spur attempts to break these records, as some of them have stood for over 30 years!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
now just work on the top 20 list for each weightclass and you will be set Wink great lift cool to see

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
I predict that with this list added to powerlifting watch, there will be an influx of ppl trying to break raw records, especially since ppl actually know what they are now. i say bravo, its about time we go full circle and get back to the roots of the sport.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
wait a sec. This must be all time powerlifting AMERICAN raw records because I thought the polish midget Andrzej Stanaszek had the raw records in the bench & squat for the 114 pound class?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
oops nevermind, read more closely. It does say American Raw records

Submitted by H. Claypatch (not verified) on
This is very good! However I do know that Mike Kuhns squatted 556.7 at 148 in July 2006 at the Single Lift National Championships (perhaps it does not count because it was a single lift meet?). The lift is posted here: http://www.pikitup.com/ -Hunter M. Claypatch

Submitted by chris mason on
WWW.ATLARGENUTRITION.COM Reinhoudt did over 2400 lbs raw. I can't remember the meet. Cole was a beast of a man!

Submitted by Johnny Vasquez on
chris mason wrote:
WWW.ATLARGENUTRITION.COM Reinhoudt did over 2400 lbs raw. I can't remember the meet. Cole was a beast of a man!
Actually Reinhoudt did 2420 but it weighed out to 2391 not the 2420 face value.

Submitted by Johnny Vasquez on
As for the womens records this thing took me 8 months to compile. My wife has been pissed at for 8 months. I have spent way too much time on the computer on the phone, emails and reading magazines and books to do this again. I will help any person who is willing to compile a women's alltime list, but I need to get back to training and being a family man. No one was happier that I was finshed than my wife! Once again this is an American list only not a world because I can not verify a lift done in 1970 whatever done in a village in europe some place. These lifts here I have been able to verify. There may have been a lift higher somewhere but If I could not verify that it was raw or in an official meet I could not use it. Also, I used actual weight not face value i.e. 2420/2391 Don and 2370/2363 Cole. Thank you everyone for your kind words....

Submitted by Eric Talmant on
Jvasquez wrote:
As for the womens records this thing took me 8 months to compile. My wife has been pissed at for 8 months. I have spent way too much time on the computer on the phone, emails and reading magazines and books to do this again. I will help any person who is willing to compile a women's alltime list, but I need to get back to training and being a family man. No one was happier that I was finshed than my wife! Once again this is an American list only not a world because I can not verify a lift done in 1970 whatever done in a village in europe some place. These lifts here I have been able to verify. There may have been a lift higher somewhere but If I could not verify that it was raw or in an official meet I could not use it. Also, I used actual weight not face value i.e. 2420/2391 Don and 2370/2363 Cole. Thank you everyone for your kind words....
Yep-his wife almost killed him. I can attest to this! Eric www.rawunitymeet.com www.erictalmant.com CITIUS,ALTIUS,FORTIUS Proudly Sponsored By: BMF Sports Ultra Life, Inc. Critical Bench Titan Support Systems

Submitted by Gratton (not verified) on
Why is it 5 years ago no one gave a shit about RAW lifting? Why is it come to the fore front now? How about another lift for tested meets John V:)?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Gratton wrote:
Why is it 5 years ago no one gave a shit about RAW lifting? Why is it come to the fore front now? How about another lift for tested meets John V:)?
this is because 5 years ago the lifting gear was not close to where it is today in terms of support. Multiply gear has now become too supportive and when combined with lax judging even weak people can lift heavy weights. The reason raw lifting is more popular now is that people are saying enough is enough, let's go back to using strength to lift weights.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Anonymous wrote:
Gratton wrote:
Why is it 5 years ago no one gave a shit about RAW lifting? Why is it come to the fore front now? How about another lift for tested meets John V:)?
this is because 5 years ago the lifting gear was not close to where it is today in terms of support. Multiply gear has now become too supportive and when combined with lax judging even weak people can lift heavy weights. The reason raw lifting is more popular now is that people are saying enough is enough, let's go back to using strength to lift weights.
Ok if a weak guy take AAS he will become strong.Whats the difference? The strongest lifters will always win regardless

Submitted by Just Another Or... (not verified) on
Gratton wrote:
Why is it 5 years ago no one gave a shit about RAW lifting? Why is it come to the fore front now? How about another lift for tested meets John V:)?
I believe that raw lifting has come to the forefront now because it is the TRUE measure of strength. Coming from the "old school" it is hard for me to fathom people getting so many pounds out of their equipment. It kind of makes it ridiculous - explaining to someone, "I benched 600 in a meet, but I can only do 415 without my double triple super-duper bench shirt."

Submitted by Johnny Vasquez on
Anonymous wrote:
What was Bolton's best deadlift raw?
Bolton did 947 without a suit but again this is an american records list

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Very nice list, thank you. Lots of extraordinary performances in this list, and the average age of the records is a testament to that.

Submitted by Ed Kutin on
I know you are working very hard on this, and you and Eric are both putting your hearts and souls into pushing raw lifting, and I think that’s great. As far as this list, I have some comments. Please treat these as constructive suggestions to make this as reputable and authoritative as possible. My overarching comment is that this list includes a lot of lifts that predated any notion of an official “raw” category. In those cases, I think it behooves you to give the evidence as to why you believe that these lifts were really raw. When lifting under a specifically raw category today, it is the responsibility of the judges to help ensure that your gear really qualifies. It seems unfair to put in lifts with only anecdotal evidence of proper uniform, but, let me not speak for what the evidence actually is. Another thing I noted is that all squat records with knee wraps for 165-308 are held by lifters from the early 70’s. Is this not a surprising result? Have people simply forgotten how to squat since then? I think it is important to dig into why specifically there were such good squats then, in particular. Maybe no problem. Maybe there was a pertinent issue.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Ed Kutin wrote:
Another thing I noted is that all squat records with knee wraps for 165-308 are held by lifters from the early 70’s. Is this not a surprising result? Have people simply forgotten how to squat since then? I think it is important to dig into why specifically there were such good squats then, in particular. Maybe no problem. Maybe there was a pertinent issue.
you have to remember that powerlifting has changed drastically since then. In the 70s everyone squatted raw and everyone trained raw. If this was still the case we would be seeing bigger raw lifts. There are still many world class lifters that only lift in gear that could do some amazing raw lifting. now imagine if all they did was train raw and compete raw? a year or two of nothing but raw training and a few raw meets following that does not compare to someone that trained and competed raw throughout their lives. It is also a known fact that cutting weight was and is still big even back then. People have pushed the limits of competing raw back then. Now majority of lifters are barely crossing the line. They are pushing the limits with gear and the only way we will see the true potential of powerlifters raw strength is if powerlifting ever converts to nothing but raw.

Submitted by Ed Kutin on
Anonymous wrote:
Ed Kutin wrote:
Another thing I noted is that all squat records with knee wraps for 165-308 are held by lifters from the early 70’s. Is this not a surprising result? Have people simply forgotten how to squat since then? I think it is important to dig into why specifically there were such good squats then, in particular. Maybe no problem. Maybe there was a pertinent issue.
you have to remember that powerlifting has changed drastically since then. In the 70s everyone squatted raw and everyone trained raw. If this was still the case we would be seeing bigger raw lifts. There are still many world class lifters that only lift in gear that could do some amazing raw lifting. now imagine if all they did was train raw and compete raw? a year or two of nothing but raw training and a few raw meets following that does not compare to someone that trained and competed raw throughout their lives. It is also a known fact that cutting weight was and is still big even back then. People have pushed the limits of competing raw back then. Now majority of lifters are barely crossing the line. They are pushing the limits with gear and the only way we will see the true potential of powerlifters raw strength is if powerlifting ever converts to nothing but raw.
OK. Then why aren't records for the other 2 lifts also held uniformly by lifters in the early 70's?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Ed Kutin wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Ed Kutin wrote:
Another thing I noted is that all squat records with knee wraps for 165-308 are held by lifters from the early 70’s. Is this not a surprising result? Have people simply forgotten how to squat since then? I think it is important to dig into why specifically there were such good squats then, in particular. Maybe no problem. Maybe there was a pertinent issue.
you have to remember that powerlifting has changed drastically since then. In the 70s everyone squatted raw and everyone trained raw. If this was still the case we would be seeing bigger raw lifts. There are still many world class lifters that only lift in gear that could do some amazing raw lifting. now imagine if all they did was train raw and compete raw? a year or two of nothing but raw training and a few raw meets following that does not compare to someone that trained and competed raw throughout their lives. It is also a known fact that cutting weight was and is still big even back then. People have pushed the limits of competing raw back then. Now majority of lifters are barely crossing the line. They are pushing the limits with gear and the only way we will see the true potential of powerlifters raw strength is if powerlifting ever converts to nothing but raw.
OK. Then why aren't records for the other 2 lifts also held uniformly by lifters in the early 70's?
I think it is because lifters very rarely squat with knee wraps and no suit. the lifts with many records from the 1970s are squats with wraps and total with wraps. Most of the top lifters who have competed raw recently have done so without wraps. Interesting that Hugh Cassidy's 2160 (no wraps and no belt, I think) which won the first IPF worlds would still be very competitive today almost 40 years later. Cassidy would be right in the mix with Thompson, Siders, Koklyaev and Weech who have todays top raw totals.

Submitted by Old Timer (not verified) on
I know you guys try hard but there needs to be better accuracy. At least 2 of the RAW benches were done in blast shirts and I see at least 1 squat that was done in a marathon suit.

Submitted by Eric Talmant on
Old Timer wrote:
I know you guys try hard but there needs to be better accuracy. At least 2 of the RAW benches were done in blast shirts and I see at least 1 squat that was done in a marathon suit.
Please be specific and tell us which ones exactly. Thanks. Eric www.rawunitymeet.com www.erictalmant.com CITIUS,ALTIUS,FORTIUS Proudly Sponsored By: BMF Sports Ultra Life, Inc. Critical Bench Titan Support Systems

Submitted by art menton (not verified) on
Ed, you do understand that the list you have mentioned, 165-308 with knee wraps lists so many lifters from the 70's because it is the total raw, (no squat suit) but with knee wraps. With the approval of squat suits, almost all lifters had to start wearing them to remain in the top lifters-so until recent raw meets there were no recorded totals. Looking at the squat totals without knee wraps you will notice more recent records. Art

Submitted by Kevin C (not verified) on
A minor point, but NERB was in 2006, but Byrd's squat there is listed as 2005 Thanks for all your hard work!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
I'm almost positive Ed Coan's 887@242 in 1998 was in a singlet. The meet he went 2463 in Vegas.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Ed's 887 was a deadlift, forgot to put that in which would surpass Kuc's 870

Submitted by alideutscher on
thanks for all your hard work and the time you put in this list we appreciated very much

Submitted by Johnny Vasquez on
On ed Coans deadlift of 887 we tried to contact him on it he did respond and he did wear a suit in some of his deadlifts as long as someone can confirm it, it will go up.As for the benches who wore a shirt? Weil never wore one, and none of the others that I have listed at the time of their lift wore one. Soong's bench records are almost identical to these with some international exceptions. also as for squats being raw I have relied on actual pictures of some of the lifts and eye witness as well as articles written by historians like Herb Glossbrenner. These are alltime historical records to show just how strong lifters were, are and could be. With raw now taking off you will begin to see many of these records fall. Lifters went into gear long ago and never cared for what we now call " raw". There lifts were very impressive and if we want to compete an call ourselves great as raw lifters well then cant be happy with 3-500 lb squats. Byrds lifts were done in 2006 the list posted was a rough draft sent to jon a couple of weeks ago before it was finalized. Jon please make that correction.

Submitted by 6 Pack Lapadat on
I absolutely love it. Great job. I am sure this will entice a slew of record attempts in the near future. RAW is certainly gaining steam, and I am sure it will only get bigger. On the CPU website (the Canadian IPF affiliate) they have a similar list of raw records. It helps people with goals to shoot for. *note, the CPU site is only IPF records, and they include knee sleeves...even the sleeves that are made of wraps and ahve velcro.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
henry has the highest raw total i believe... no knee wraps, 933 sq, 903 deadlift, and 518 bench, he was in the world drug free pling fed when he did that.

Submitted by KarstenDD on
Anonymous wrote:
bolton pulled 937 raw.. just a singlet in the 2005 BPC
Funny thing about that, it isn't an AMERICAN record.

Submitted by 6 Pack Lapadat on
Marcus wrote:
This is cool. Isn't 24-hour vs. 2-hour weigh in a bigger issue than knee wraps or no wraps? 24-hour weigh in lets lifters drop a full weight class. www.wildirongym.com
I would think so. IF not a bigger issue, easily just as big (no pun intended). You hve guys a weight class up lifting in the same weight class setting all time records, and that is a lil funny.

Submitted by BrianMc (not verified) on
I know I have read on a few different occasions from old (old) timers that people used to squat in denim shorts and put half tennis balls behind their knees tied with torn up towels/bed sheets/etc. I think this "what was raw" stuff might have been talked about before somewhere: https://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/1960. Who knows who was wearing what? As far availability goes, I don't know, but let's also remember that juice was not illegal when many of these older raw records were set. Just something to keep in mind, IMO.

Submitted by Old Person (not verified) on
BrianMc wrote:
I know I have read on a few different occasions from old (old) timers that people used to squat in denim shorts and put half tennis balls behind their knees tied with torn up towels/bed sheets/etc. I think this "what was raw" stuff might have been talked about before somewhere: https://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/1960. Who knows who was wearing what? As far availability goes, I don't know, but let's also remember that juice was not illegal when many of these older raw records were set. Just something to keep in mind, IMO.
Don't forget the rubber tire inner tubes and elbow wraps on some of the so-called RAW lifts.

Pages