Powerlifting Should Have Height Classes?

Powerlifting has age classes and weight classes, even classes for certain occupations. Is it time to add height classes? Posters at Monster Muscle discuss that possibility.

Height does not matter. Same bodyweight under same rules equals level playing field. I have been tall for my division (220) but I don't say it is more impressive for me because I am taller or my experience in equipment was not vast. It does not matter.

No offense intended...just think no one in any way should try to take away from someones feat if done under same rules.

Why does height not matter, can you not pack more muscle on if you are shorter and weigh the same?

Who has more muscle: 6'2" 242 10% bf or 5'8" 242 at 10% bf

It doesn't mattter if your in the same division. If you want to carry more muscle than you can at a higher bodyweight. If I am 5 inches taller than someone in the same division it doesn't make me more impressive if he edges me out in total. I will say it again....same rules equals level playing field.

My point was shorter people can carry more muscle at the same weight. So its not equal unless hight is factored in right?

You are talking about someone being more impressive muscle wise. Certainly, someone will be more jacked at the same weight, bodyfat if they are shorter. However, for powerlifting it does not matter. If you competing in the same division under the same rules it does not matter. I tell you what, let's start holding records in each weight class by height as well. Or if you beat someone in your division but are shorter then give your trophy to them. Or maybe we keep it the same...the lifter with the biggest lift in the division wins.

They have formulas to compare benches of a 242 to a 308 or a 220. According to your argument why do they even seperate weight classes, why does it matter how much a lifter weighs. Does his weight help him lift additional weight? or is it the increase in muscle mass. Why are the records for 220 lower than 308 ? why height be factored in to the formula also? It would be intresting to see if height does effect the lift. The taller lifter might not have as much static strength. however the length of his limbs could give him more torque.

Wow!!!! Do you even read the post. I said same weight division so under same rules. I said it does not matter what your height is if you are both lifting in the same weight division. Some that is taller can carry more mass and of course more mass helps you lift more weight. You are making obvious points that I am not even arguing. My point is, it does not matter if someone is taller if you are in the dame weight division. All that boils down to if you saying that guy is shorter therefore it is easier is an excuse. Plain and simple. If I get beat by a shorter man in my division there is no excuses made for height.

to be honest i dont think heighth classes would be a bad idea... i mean hell my cousin is 6'4 181's....he's a strong 17 year old for his size... 385 squat in a belt and wraps, 260 raw bench, and a 500 raw dead but put him up against a guy 181 who is 5'4... looks like a mass monster against the skinniest man in the world.... kinda unfair ... and by no means is that a level playing field... but then again in all honesty i dont care if some one is 5'6 and beats my record more power to em!

Height divisions are a bad idea. You cousin has a cahnce to fill out and be a lot bigger than that 5' 4 guy. That is why there are weight divisions. It is fair.

yeah but a guy that tall might as well give up if he wants to be a world class powerlifter at that weight... if ur tall u gotta go to the heavier classes to be competitive against the best

You always have to fill out to the proper weight. I myself have figured out that I lift a lot better in the 240's and 250's and will probably be at my best around 275. You will probably be best eventually at 308.

Height matters, size matters I am not saying that. It just doesn't matter within a weight divison.

I'm not sure how a shorter person can carry more muscle then a taller person. Shorter people usually have shorter limbs so there joints are closer together so how the muscle inserts gives it a larger and fuller look. A taller person with long limbs has more acreage to work with so over the long haul they have the upper hand.

they cant carry more muscle but say if a guy who is 6 foot 10 percent body fat 200 pounds and a guy is 5 foot 10 percent body fat 200 pounds.... the shorter guy has way more muscle mass.... here's an example the 5 foot guys say has 125 pounds in muscle weight and 75 pounds in other body weight like bone fat and what not... the 6 foot guy might have 100 pounds of muscle and alot more bone weight and stuff....he's tall so his bones and insides most likely weight alot more since he's longer? if you can put 2 and 2 together you can figure what im saying if not ill explain in further detail!

They appear to have more muscle. It's all about distance between joints, why do you think most successful bb pros are short. I've taken an ish load of bio, anatomy & physiology. I don't no what mags you guys are reading but that makes no sense.

Comment viewing options

like we need to divide powerlifting up even more.

LOL! I really can't believe all the people who respond with their heart and soul into such nonsense.

The point should be that a short guy has a much shorter trip during his reps on each of bench, squat and DL than a tall guy. A 5'3 guy pressing, squatting or DLing the same amount as a 6'3 guy is not as strong; he doesn't have to displace the bar as far, and the difference is not negligible.

I think it would be good if they didn't use weight classes but instead used something like BMI classes. Say 20-23, 24-27, 28-31, 32-35 etc.

Much of the success in powerlifting comes from leverage. A 5'6" 275er has much better leverage than a 6'4" 275er.

The next division will be the biggy ! After height, will come race !
Come on people ! P/L already has enough division with all the divisions & federations. Enough is enough.
Peace out and lift safe.

That is the most fucking retarted thing I have heard yet. The guy who posted this must be some skinny ass tall bastard, who is trying to make his feel because he is weak. Hey stupid ASS just eat more and put on some size, but you will probally still be weak.

GET BIGGER

Anonymous wrote:
I think it would be good if they didn't use weight classes but instead used something like BMI classes. Say 20-23, 24-27, 28-31, 32-35 etc.

Much of the success in powerlifting comes from leverage. A 5'6" 275er has much better leverage than a 6'4" 275er.

BMI??? Are you serious or was that a joke?

The objective of the sport is to move the heaviest weight from point A to point B. Distance was never an issue. It was about max weight displaced according to the rules. Truthfully if it is to be called "power" lifting we should take into account distance and attach a device to the bar to gauge "power". What we do in our sport is "weight" lifting to see who is the most efficeint in moving the weight. Otherwise why don't we just eliminate wide stance squats, arched benching, and sumo deadlifting for everyone who chooses to powerlift because all these lifts shorten the range of motion.

Anyway, I'm 5'3 and 165 lbs and I'll never play basketball in the NBA... they should lower the rims to 7' and create a league for anyone under 5'10" so I can be a great point guard. Sometimes you're just not built to be competitive at a sport and you just find a way to deal with it.

Mandrew82

Mandrew82 wrote:
The objective of the sport is to move the heaviest weight from point A to point B. Distance was never an issue. It was about max weight displaced according to the rules. Truthfully if it is to be called "power" lifting we should take into account distance and attach a device to the bar to gauge "power". What we do in our sport is "weight" lifting to see who is the most efficeint in moving the weight. Otherwise why don't we just eliminate wide stance squats, arched benching, and sumo deadlifting for everyone who chooses to powerlift because all these lifts shorten the range of motion.

Anyway, I'm 5'3 and 165 lbs and I'll never play basketball in the NBA... they should lower the rims to 7' and create a league for anyone under 5'10" so I can be a great point guard. Sometimes you're just not built to be competitive at a sport and you just find a way to deal with it.

Mandrew82

yes, yes and i agree. he's also right. if you're tall and want to be competitive gain the weight to maximize your leverages. if you "can't" gain the weight, get over it and take up basket weaving.

Im 5'6" at 165lbs and typically at national competitions Im considered one of the tallest 165lbers, I like that it's one of the few times Im considered "tall."

Don't screw with that!

I was 6'6 310lbs when I got into this sport. I'm now 380lbs. Height has been an excuse for every bad squatter and bencher I've ever met. Talk to me about leverage and at best I'll roll my eyes and laugh at you. At worst I'll call you damn weakling who's making excuses for himself. Everyone wants rules that favor them. Get over it. It's powerlifting. Train and get strong and stop worrying about an angle.

IT is powerlifting and we are lucky we have so many weight classes. The NBA doesn't make a rule on height and the NFL doesn't make a limit on how many 300lbs+ offensive lineman can have on a line.

Athletes typically are going to gravitate to the sport that they have the most success at. Use your height to go play basketball. I don't get all pissed that I suck at basketball because I'm short. Be happy that your tall so you can fill out and put more weight on. Height is usually an advantage in many sports so stop whining about it.

I'm sure there are many short powerlifters that would love to have your height. THey would probably playing a pro sport instead of competting in powerlifting.

Just as soon as Pro Basketball does the same. Maybe I can try out for the Bulls next year. lol. come on man.....

1st place and new world champion in the 181 class, 6' or greater in heigh, master 1 men, fire/police, lifetime drug-free, unequipped, non-smoker, kids and wife, full time working, short arm/leg, long torso, short hair division.

ok what about boxing compared to powerlifting??? Two boxers enter the ring at approximatly the same weight correct. Now what about there reach difference???? One guy may have a reach advantage of 1-2 inches. SO WHAT. Boxing dosnt see a prob with it. I do understand about how the smaller more compact guy has less travel for the bar to move but again this is like in every sport. Every ones body make up is going to be different. What are you asking for we go out and messure every ones weight, height , arm length leg length chest size shoe size. I mean where does it stop????? If you are a tall thin guy that weighs 220 then take a few things in to account. How long have you been power lifting compared to the short 5 foot guy??? I have two suggestions in closing either gain weight train hard or drop the lbs and compete at a lower weight class. You have to find whats right for you not every one will be a world class lifter. No one hands it to you. So stop working your fingers on the key board and get you butt to the gym.

Anonymous wrote:
That is the most fucking retarted thing I have heard yet. The guy who posted this must be some skinny ass tall bastard, who is trying to make his feel because he is weak. Hey stupid ASS just eat more and put on some size, but you will probally still be weak.

For your info, posting anonymous so you don't have to suffer the personal backlash is as retarded as marrying your cousin. Yeah at 5'8" 245lbs, I'd say I'm tall AND skinny.
I put my name up here because , some will like my posts and some won't,that's life. I'll still get my sleep one way or another.
Trying to explain my point in posting what I did would be like trying to explain particle physics or quantum mechanics to a kindergartener.I just made that post to make a point that, it's just one more way to divide the sport as the original poster that brought up height, did. Once again, someone else that didn't have the nads to post with their name , flames.
Peace

People think that because a taller person has longer bones they have farther to push the bar. This is true, but really it doesn't make the difference they think it does. What people fail to realize is that a taller person normally also has longer muscles attached proportionately to the same insertion points on their bones as a shorter person has on theirs. Bottom line is this creates equal leverages for people whether they are short or tall. If a shorter person has the same amount of muscle mass as a taller person, they will generally be equal strength because the leverages are the same. If a shorter person has the same proportions to a taller person, the taller person will weigh more and will be stronger.

6'2" or 5"8" either way ay 242lb and 10% bodyfat they're both packing approx 218lbs lean mass each. Distributed over a smaller frame ...yes maybe a slight advantage if 5'8" has 30" thighs and 6'2" has 27". But I don't think height , classes are going to help. If they're going to break it doen that far why not hair color, religion or ethnical group classes? Where do we draw the line?

Mike Merrill wrote:
6'2" or 5"8" either way ay 242lb and 10% bodyfat they're both packing approx 218lbs lean mass each. Distributed over a smaller frame ...yes maybe a slight advantage if 5'8" has 30" thighs and 6'2" has 27". But I don't think height , classes are going to help. If they're going to break it doen that far why not hair color, religion or ethnical group classes? Where do we draw the line?

That was my POINT exactly Mike. At least you got it. Where DO we draw the line ? Like I said, what's next...race ?

I say they should have height classes for basketball

damn tall guys have all the luck

but no matter what... wouldn't a 5'6" guy be just as proportional as a 6'3" guy? (their body parts relative to their body)?

this is honestly one of the dumbest things i have EVER heard... do they have height classes in say ... wrestling? boxing? or ultimate fighting? NO.. why would they have height classes in powerlifting?

wouldn't it be nice if they had two divisions for NFL.. one how it is now (tall) and another (smaller people)... but thats not realistic.. its about who is the best of the best.. and in powerlifting everyone is proportional relative to their body so who cares??????????

When I first read this I thought that the comment was a joke.

Regarding an earlier post about boxing, we were talking about wt. classes before the fight Sat. night, so I Googled them. I didn't realize that there were SO MANY wt. classes in all boxing feds. Check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_weight_classes
and you'll see many wt. classes with only 3-5 lb. ranges. Just look at that chart - and they're all supposed to have the same rules, LOL! PL feds are like church denominations....

Jimi Aikey if you think there should be height class;s then you're crazy we need more unity. If every year every fed that did raw and equipped lifting had an all out meet that anyone not taking steroids could enter that would be a step in the right direction.No more dividing the lifters.

The next class will be the amount of money spent on equipment and registration fees. The money will have denominations of dinars, pesos and krugerands.
And whatever anonymous was the one that said something was "retarted"...at least spell it right if you're gonna have the nads to call someone out on a post they made. LOL

shorter guys may not be better deadlifters.
shorter guys have shorter arms(most of the time).
which means the bar travels further.(lets say at the hip)

if a guys has really long ape arms, the bar doesnt travel as much.(maybe at the knees)

so, guys with shorter arms would have an advantage in the bench.

long armed guys would have an advantage in the deadlift.

Anonymous wrote:
I think it would be good if they didn't use weight classes but instead used something like BMI classes. Say 20-23, 24-27, 28-31, 32-35 etc.
How is a 275 lifter competing against a 181 lifter with the same BMI fair in any measure. The 275 lb lifter may be much taller but the 275 lifter would win in most cases. Go up a weight class if you are too tall for your weight. Are you advocating have 100 meter classes by height because taller runners have a longer stride. Not very smart.

All I want to say is hight does matter. I am 6'and most of my training parteners are 5'10" and under. when we do band training I keep telling them its not fair I have to lift more weight than they do. So it means more work for me and I get stronger. HAHAHAHA! On the platform it does not matter get stronger or go home. If I was 6'3" 220 I would be pissed too. Go to your proper weight class 275 and up.

you people are bunch of babys always complaning..its all about who can lift more!