Ivanko Powerlifting Weightlifting Plates and Bars - Official Distributor




IPF Suspends 6 Lifters

The IPF has suspended six lifters for violating its anti-doping rules. The suspended include American Stephen Rios, who was 18 at the time he tested positive at the September 2008 Sub-Junior World Championships. Rios initially won a gold medal for the first place American team. The U.S. team still pulled out the win, by a single point, after Rios was removed from the scoring. Rios' suspension ends on September 1, 2010.

Also suspended was 2009 Bench Press Worlds gold medalist Yulia Tachytskaya from Belarus.

Argentina's Marcos Martinez failed an out-of-competition test. He was the only failure of 16 tested in the large OCT blitz.

Peru's Lorenzo Quesada was suspended for violation of rule 14.10.2 (violating the rules or disobedience towards his national federation or any official in the execution of his duties).

IPF suspension list (pdf).

Comment viewing options

New additions to the wall of shame.

Do you believe?

So tell use somthing new would you?

I noticed the IPF fines you. What happens if you do not pay? Throw you in the IPF gulag in Siberia where you have to squat ass to the floor 1000 times a day?

The drug testing system of the ipf works. Great job!

John Polak wrote:
I noticed the IPF fines you. What happens if you do not pay? Throw you in the IPF gulag in Siberia where you have to squat ass to the floor 1000 times a day?
In the US the lifter must pay the fine of face legal action.

¨Peru's Lorenzo Quesada was suspended for violation of rule 14.10.2 (violating the rules or disobedience towards his national federation or any official in the execution of his duties)¨....finally...he was killing the sport in my country.

No, I don't think you face legal action, I believe you just can't lift in the federation again until your fine is paid up.

Anonymous wrote:
John Polak wrote:
I noticed the IPF fines you. What happens if you do not pay? Throw you in the IPF gulag in Siberia where you have to squat ass to the floor 1000 times a day?
In the US the lifter must pay the fine of face legal action.

LOL! No, they do not.

Very good news! Hope ipf keeps it up!
Seems like the RPF is going the right way too.

6 Pack Lapadat wrote:
New additions to the wall of shame.

Do you believe?

Believe in what? Not sure what you mean by that.

Don't see the american kid on the list. Was his name removed?

Why is Siders on the list? Coan, lifetime?

Anonymous wrote:
Why is Siders on the list? Coan, lifetime?

You were born yesterday, huh.

sqbpdl wrote:
Don't see the american kid on the list. Was his name removed?

He's about halfway down the 2008 list

Year - 2008
Last Name - Rios
First Name - Stephen Allen
Country - USA
Competition - WC Sub-Junior and Junior Powerlifting
gender - male
start - 02.09.2008
end - 01.09.2010
fine - 1.000,00 €

d.m. wrote:
No, I don't think you face legal action, I believe you just can't lift in the federation again until your fine is paid up.
If you don't pay the fine you will be served. The fine is 1000 Euros. The rest of the USAPL lifters are not responsible for the debt. The lifter will be pursued with all means necessary to collect the debt.

Sorry I am a bit confused as I am one of those high squattin', no bench lockout'n, deadlift hitchin' multiply cheaters, but I don't get the fine concept.

Why can't they just ban them?

If they pay the fine, then juicing in a tested fed is OK?

Or, is there a legal problem with banning and the fine gets around that, assuming that no one will actually pay it?

bill and april wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
John Polak wrote:
I noticed the IPF fines you. What happens if you do not pay? Throw you in the IPF gulag in Siberia where you have to squat ass to the floor 1000 times a day?
In the US the lifter must pay the fine of face legal action.

LOL! No, they do not.

You have nothing to do with the administration of the USAPL and know nothing of its policies. Ask Keller. If Rios does not pay the fine a judgment will be pursued.

APFMaster wrote:
Sorry I am a bit confused as I am one of those high squattin', no bench lockout'n, deadlift hitchin' multiply cheaters, but I don't get the fine concept.

Why can't they just ban them?

If they pay the fine, then juicing in a tested fed is OK?

Or, is there a legal problem with banning and the fine gets around that, assuming that no one will actually pay it?

The national federation must pay the fine. Several national federations have been suspended for not paying the DT failure fines. The lifter is still suspended for two years or lifetime for a second offense. The fines are always collected. The USAPL has had to pay for Rios.

I don't know why USAPL doesn't tell the IPF to f off and they ain't going to pay the fine. Who the hell is giong to lift in the fed then without RUssia? Uzbekistan? Seriously they could royally bend the IPF over the table and stick it to them if they wanted.

Anonymous wrote:
I don't know why USAPL doesn't tell the IPF to f off and they ain't going to pay the fine. Who the hell is giong to lift in the fed then without RUssia? Uzbekistan? Seriously they could royally bend the IPF over the table and stick it to them if they wanted.

They honour the system of the IPF because they are part of the IPF. The IPF is not at fault here the kid who chose to lift for the USAPL and cheated has cost them financially. It is also more practical for the affiliated feds to collect outstanding fees around the world than it is for the central governing body to do so.

Anonymous wrote:
I don't know why USAPL doesn't tell the IPF to f off and they ain't going to pay the fine. Who the hell is giong to lift in the fed then without RUssia? Uzbekistan? Seriously they could royally bend the IPF over the table and stick it to them if they wanted.

I think the idea of the system is brilliant. It makes the national feds deal with any cheating culture.
USAPL is currently doing a great job.

Anonymous wrote:
d.m. wrote:
No, I don't think you face legal action, I believe you just can't lift in the federation again until your fine is paid up.
If you don't pay the fine you will be served. The fine is 1000 Euros. The rest of the USAPL lifters are not responsible for the debt. The lifter will be pursued with all means necessary to collect the debt.

Who are you and where are you getting your information from?

Great for the IPF. I agree with it all.

d.m. wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
d.m. wrote:
No, I don't think you face legal action, I believe you just can't lift in the federation again until your fine is paid up.
If you don't pay the fine you will be served. The fine is 1000 Euros. The rest of the USAPL lifters are not responsible for the debt. The lifter will be pursued with all means necessary to collect the debt.

Who are you and where are you getting your information from?

I can verify that the USAPL will pursue those that fail drug tests. The lifter is responsible for the minimum fine of 500 Euros. USAPL pays the fine and then seeks repayment by the lifter. The USAPL will use legal recourse if necessary to recover the fine. Thankfully, the USAPL has not often had to deal with the international failures in the last 10 years.

What did he test positive for?

I know you are being sarcastic but I was wondering if it was AAS or too much caffeine or something.

caffeine aint on the tested list no more,

"The USAPL will use legal recourse if necessary to recover the fine."

That's pretty rich, Mr. Feldman. So how does the USAPL pursue that? Does the USAPL turn it over to a private collection agency? Would the USAPL be liable for fraud if it turns out they are not legally entitled to make such a collection?

Even if the lifter contractually agrees to be subject such martinet-like fines; the USAPL has at BEST, no more standing than any other garden variety commercial creditor.

Looking at the current membership form I see nothing explicitly granting the USAPL the right to levy fines beyond revoking the membership.

I'd like to see you make that fine stick.

Stephen is paying the USAPL for the fine. The issue should now be left alone.

"Stephen is paying the USAPL for the fine. The issue should now be left alone."

So you say.

I'm sure the USAPL has every right to *ask* the lifter to repay such a fine as a condition of restoring standing for a lifter.

I don't believe the USAPL has the legal right to collect such a debt from lifters at this time.

Particularly given that to all outward appearances, the USAPL (and by extension, IPF, and WADA) have no legal standing here beyond possibly commercial/contract obligation at best.

Jim,

From the USAPL membership application:

Quote:
I further agree that the rules, regulations, and drug testing procedures are subject to change at any time and that I agree to obey any new or changed rules, regulations, and drug testing procedures as a condition of continued membership. I agree that my membership may be revoked temporarily or permanently, suspended, and/or denied for my failure to obey USAPL rules, regulations, and drug testing procedures. I will voluntarily submit to any drug testing procedure that USAPL has approved in its rules, regulations, and drug testing procedures. If I do test positive for a banned substance, I agree that the results of the test are conclusive, and I further agree to accept the consequences of that positive test regarding my membership.

The way I'm reading the application, by signing and therefore agreeing to that paragraph, a lifter is then subject to financial liability to such a fine, IF it is spelled out in the "rules and regulations" of the USAPL (I'm not looking through them for specific wording, sorry) Depending on the wording, the way I'm reading it, he can be held liable and subject to collection proceedures for such debt.

Jim Patterson wrote:
I don't believe the USAPL has the legal right to collect such a debt from lifters at this time.

Particularly given that to all outward appearances, the USAPL (and by extension, IPF, and WADA) have no legal standing here beyond possibly commercial/contract obligation at best.

Commercial/contract obligations can be enforced by the courts. The payment can be remitted for collection and place on the lifters credit report. Most legal rights exhibited by any organization are those of contract obligations. You should read the fine print on the membership application

Jim Patterson wrote:
"Stephen is paying the USAPL for the fine. The issue should now be left alone."

So you say.

I'm sure the USAPL has every right to *ask* the lifter to repay such a fine as a condition of restoring standing for a lifter.

I don't believe the USAPL has the legal right to collect such a debt from lifters at this time.

Particularly given that to all outward appearances, the USAPL (and by extension, IPF, and WADA) have no legal standing here beyond possibly commercial/contract obligation at best.

Stephen is paying the fine so he can be reinstated at the end of his suspension. If he did not pay the fine, then he would be suspended by the USAPL for indebtedness to the federation.