Ed Koo Trains for USPF Nationals

Here is training footage of Ed Koo (220) preparing for the USPF Nationals which will be held Friday through Sunday in LaMirada, California. Koo faces off against Eric Kratz and nine others in the 220 pound weight class.

705 pound squat:

720 pound deadlift and 685 pound squat:

705 pound deadlift and miss with 735 pounds:

Koo finished his training by squatting 765 pounds for two reps. His bench training included a 495 pound 1-board and 475 pounds touch and go.

Comment viewing options

I can't believe how strong this man is. He should have a great showing this weekend.

Looking very strong Ed. It should be a good battle between you and Tony Hardridge for the top spot.

Where did Koo come from? Wow.

freak of nature...seriously...198 crazy

Great work Ed, but we need to get you on a diet so your as lean as the rest of us at supertraining!

What kind of water do those guys drink at Supertraining? Good lifting Koo. Looking strong.

Beef water.

Ed Koo, has been around for a while. He lifted in the 90's as a teen lifter. He has gone to IPJ Jr World's, and then dropped off the face of the earth. I first met him at USAPL Collegiate Nats around 2000.

YU

S. Catin wrote:
What kind of water do those guys drink at Supertraining? Good lifting Koo. Looking strong.

Only Koo drinks water. I think the rest of them have a cream foutain they drink from

I do remember him competing at IPF Jr. Worlds and various USAPL Jr. Nationals and Collegiates. He's been on a slow comeback but it looks like he is full throttle. Nice to see some of the lifters back in the day come back like Bob Eucker and Ed Koo. Koo looks like he can enter a bb show.

Scott D. wrote:
I do remember him competing at IPF Jr. Worlds and various USAPL Jr. Nationals and Collegiates. He's been on a slow comeback but it looks like he is full throttle. Nice to see some of the lifters back in the day come back like Bob Eucker and Ed Koo. Koo looks like he can enter a bb show.

Might be a really stupid question, but how old is Ed Koo

Tronske wrote:
Looking very strong Ed. It should be a good battle between you and Tony Hardridge for the top spot.

Who is Tony Hardridge. The name seems familiar. This looks like a tough division also. This looks like a pretty good nationals from top to bottom.

Man. He looks like a big dude in these videos like he should be a 242 or 275.

Hardridge competed back in the day as a 275/SHW with like a 1000lb squat at SHW. He totaled big back in the day. Anyone know what he is totalling today?

Anonymous wrote:
Man. He looks like a big dude in these videos like he should be a 242 or 275.

Exactly. How tall is Koo?

he's probably 5'9-5'10 or so.

he went to one jr. worlds in 1999 and bombed in the squat unfortunately. those years were when the current day russian studs were coming up.

Is Koo going 198 or 220? He'd be a freak at 198.

JC Carter wrote:
S. Catin wrote:
What kind of water do those guys drink at Supertraining? Good lifting Koo. Looking strong.

Only Koo drinks water. I think the rest of them have a cream foutain they drink from

Not all of us...but close.

Nice Work Ed! Good luck this weekend to you and all my other homies at Supertraining.

Spencer

Anonymous wrote:
he's probably 5'9-5'10 or so.

he went to one jr. worlds in 1999 and bombed in the squat unfortunately. those years were when the current day russian studs were coming up.


He was good in his Teenage/Jr. years, had the top total as a 220 teenage and Junior in the US.

Stay in the 198's bro!

To the best of my knowledge, Tony Hardridge last competed in the USPF at the American Cup in 2005. He lifted as a 242, opened with an easy 710 squat, but suffered a hamstring injury on his second attempt and withdrew from the meet. He's a very well balanced lifter and, if he's on, has the ability to total 1900-2000 as a 220.

damn i really wish i had trained and made it to this meet, would have loved to go head to head with this beast

Anonymous wrote:
Stay in the 198's bro!

I think Ed made a good choice to move into the 220's. He was recently lifting as a 198 but, since he has such dense muscle and low bodyfat, he struggled to make weight his last few meets. Since deciding to go 220 his lifts have been improving dramatically.

Ed will win

Thanks guys. This should be fun. Good luck to everyone.

Ed

Welcome back! Been a decade

Good luck!

Steve Mann
www.mannofsteel.com

told yall ed was gonna win. He did it with a torn hamsrting. I think he can do about 740 to 760 the way 650 shot up on his opener i respect koo alot. good job ed!!!!!!!

Ed tore his hamstring, but continued to lift. A really great performance. He should post a hugh total at the worlds. A competition between him and Ryan Celli would be fun to watch

chris pappillion wrote:
told yall ed was gonna win. He did it with a torn hamsrting. I think he can do about 740 to 760 the way 650 shot up on his opener i respect koo alot. good job ed!!!!!!!

His 650 was the most explosive opener. He looked good for about 730-750 easy. He's fun to watch, very explosive and looks like a tank when he lifts. I hope he heals up quick and posts a big total. His squat/pull combo is ridiculous.